Thursday, March 1, 2012

11+ Months (March 1st)

I saw my doc today for the first time in 180 days (due to pre-existing condition clause with my insurance).  He said the burning pain I get in the back of my ankle is most likely caused by the screws and wants to remove them.  Since my achilles continues to swell and be painful, he has ordered an MRI next week to make sure it is not deteriorating.  If it looks okay, he will extend the incision up to my achilles to clean out any fragments etc.  Since I have also been having pain on the lateral side of my foot where he cut the heel, he would like to go in and shave some of the bone down as well.  Since I had so much trouble controlling the pain in my foot after the last surgery, he would like to do this surgery in the hospital and plan on me staying until the nerve block wears off to make sure we can control the pain.  I'm nervous as I really do not want to go through the same experience as last year.  I'm also very hopeful that the MRI is negative as that could add a whole new complication.  

Oh yeah, insurance will only cover 80%.  I can't imagine what two days in the hospital is going to cost me.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the insurance issues. I am 6 months into a 12 month waiting period to qualify for private insurance. Once covered, hospital stays should be included, but there will be a gap for the surgeon's fee, anaesthetist, assistant etc and there could be blow-outs if for any reason a hospital stay were to extend beyond what the insurance considered an average stay for the condition.

    What did two days in the hospital end up costing?

    K

    ReplyDelete