Monday, February 13, 2012

10.5 Months (February 13)

It's been nearly a year since I had my surgery.  I recall very clearly that the doc said I should be just about back to normal within 12 months.  As normal is a relative term, let me put this in perspective.  Before I injured my ankle, I never had any problems (aka normal).  After the injury and before the surgery, I had swelling and discomfort.  Sometimes it was miserable but most of the time I could deal.  Now that I am nearly a year post surgery, I can't run, the slightest bit of exercise results in my achilles swelling and the back of my foot feeling like it's on fire every time I move, I have developed some serious popping, and my ankle feels very unstable and loose.  Maybe I'll get lucky and my ankle will return to normal in the next 45 days.  I won't hold my breath.
 

2 comments:

  1. The popping and swelling doesn't sound good. You were doing long walks several months ago! Do you think you have reinjured your foot. Maybe a bone spur? I'm sorry to act like a doc, but you really healed at a much faster pace than I did so I'm concerned about the popping and swelling. However, my achilles area looks deformed (swelling) but I haven't had the burning that you are describing. I have had the plantar facia pain but I think I'm about healed from that. I should have invested in one of those ice machines because I still do a ton of icing each night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I haven't done anything that could have injured my ankle. I'm hoping that it is just part of the normal recovery but I kind of doubt it. A friend of the family that is a retired orthopaedic surgeon is very concerned. We'll see what the doc says in a week. I really don't like being back on the pain meds again.

    Btw, I'm seeing more of these blogs popping up and they are all people saying that they couldn't find info about these procedures. I added some links to the first page of this blog (including yours) to help. You should definitely throw out an update on your page.

    ReplyDelete