Wednesday, November 30, 2011

8+ Months (November 30th)

It has been a while since my last update.  Not too much has changed.

1.  I am able to go up on my toes using just my surgically repaired foot now.  It's up and down very quickly but still progress.  However, this type of engagement of my calf muscle results in swelling and tenderness where my achilles attaches to my ankle.  It will then be very painful and stiff for me to move around until the next day.

2.  The left side (lateral) is still partially numb as well as the ankle.

3.  I have had to go up 1 shoe size.  I have worn size 12 shoes since I was 18 and now have to wear a 13.  Doesn't make it easy since my non-surgical foot is still a 12.

4.  The ends of 2nd and 3rd toes are very sensitive and painful when walking barefoot on a hard surface.

5.  My ankle continues to discolor after extended periods of engagement (i.e. mowing the lawn).

6.  If I point my toes down and rub my fingers along my ankle, I can feel something sticking out where my doctor fixed the ligaments.  I'm assuming it is some of the wire he used.

7.  99% of the time, when I get up after sitting at the desk or watching tv, my ankle is stiff and sore to start out.

8.  A full day at the office still results in swelling.

9.  Still occasionally need to take pain meds.

I'll take pics of my ankle and calf shortly and upload them.  Still have a nice dent in my calf where the doc cut the fascia.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear things aren't back to normal yet...I'm about 5-6mos behind you in the process and must say that it's hard not to get jaded and bitter during this recovery. (Which is doubly why I was hoping you'd be good to go by now!:) )

    That said, it sounds like there is *some* progress..I hope it continues..

    ReplyDelete
  2. & thanks for the blog - though i didn't find it until about 1mo post-op, it helped prepare me for the ebbs & flows of the pain (which otherwise would have likely caught me quite off-guard).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it is helping. I did a little research before my procedure but didn't come up with much information. I want to make sure people considering this surgery know the worst-case scenario.

    Good luck with your recovery!

    ReplyDelete