Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 99 (June 28)

Almost 100 days post-surgery.  Still having swelling issues and mild pain.  I drove in the car for 2.5 hours and my foot did swell.  Not too bad though.  Spent the next few days on it quite a bit and had "sausage foot" by the end of the third.  I'm walking 30-40 minutes a day on the golf course.  Trying to take as many hills as possible.  I get pain on the lateral side of my foot where the incision was made for the osteotomy.  I understand there are a number of tendons that go through there and it is common as my calf muscle develops.  Speaking of which, I can not go up on my toes with just my one leg yet.  I still need to support it with the other.  The bottom of my foot is finally becoming less sensitive.  It's still far from normal but it is progress.  I have started wearing flip-flops but I don't think my foot likes it.  It swells much more quickly than when I'm in shoes.  Overall, my therapist is still very pleased with the progress.  Sessions typically include the following:

8 minutes on eliptical to warm up
2 minutes on each of the balance boards (side to side, front to back)
3 sets of 10 squats holding onto a rope for support
3 sets of 10 pushing down on elastic with arms (for support) while attempting to go up one toes
Standing on one leg and pulling elastic band towards, away, and across both sides
Standing on one leg and tossing a weighted ball against a trampoline
Standing on soft cushion with legs staggered and tossing ball to the side
2 minutes on total gym focusing on engaging calf muscle only
Calf and foot massage
ROM manipulation of ankle

No comments:

Post a Comment