Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 49 on..

Got the cast off and doctor asked me to bear weight.  Very scary but he wanted to check the alignment.  Said everything is surgically correct.  Here are pics of my ankle that day:

The scabbing on my ankle fell off a few days later.  Have some pretty nasty scars that change all sorts of color.

I started PT the next day which consisted of stretching and trying to loosen up the joint.  The first week wasn't bad but the second week is when the pain came back pretty bad.  I was back on round-the-clock meds for about 7 days.  When I put weight on my foot, it felt like there was a bump on the bottom lateral side of my heel.  After a few days of partial weight bearing, it finally went away.  I'm 66 days out now and walked for the first time without crutches or the boot.  Pain was really bad earlier this week and decreased by about 50% over night.  Can't explain.  Barely need the meds now.  It still aches really bad in the mornings or when I have it in the boot and not elevated.  Swells up if I have it down for a few hours.  I think I could probably work as long as I have it elevated.  My therapist applies kiniseo tape when after each session and I believe it helps with the swelling.  I also elevate at night.  The lateral side of my foot is still numb but I think it's getting better.  I can feel the screws in the back of my heel with my fingers but other than that, they don't bother me.

4 comments:

  1. how are you doing now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I've been reading your blog once I found out I was having the same surgery. I'm curious. I wore the surgical dressing for 2 weeks and then the cast for 4 weeks. So, today was my 6th week (42 days) since surgery. My doctor put me in the boot with no therapy at this time. I'm having problems standing and keeping my balance. I was very scared to put weight on my foot. And, when I finally did, it hurt so much I cried. Was it like that for you the very first time? How long before it won't hurt like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gina. If you are putting full weight on your foot to balance then you are way ahead of where I was at 6 weeks! When I got my cast off, I could barely (if at all) put weight on my foot. It was a very slow process of doing a little more each day. A little bit of weight while using crutches and slowly building from there. The healing of the bone is done but the rest of the foot needs to acclimate now. Take your time to test the waters. Your foot will let you know what is okay. Remember, this is a 6 to 12 month recovery so there is no rush. Good luck! Feel free to ask questions but also check out http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-problems/ as it is a great source to reach out to others as well.

    ReplyDelete